Saturday 1 December 2012

While re-watching The Usual Suspects, directed by Bryan Singer, I noticed a long take that made use a very slow track and pan. By have this small amount of motion it stops the shot from feeling like its dragging or, quite literally, too static. The camera movement also helps intensify the dialog, as the conversation gets more serious and Byrne's character gets closer to accepting a job that will take bring him out of 'retirement'.            

Watch from 28.55 - 30.09

It's an interesting way of portraying one long conversation sequence. Though the film I'm planning won't contain any sound, it's technique that I'd like to use at some point. What I like about it is it's simplicity. From the research I've done over the past few weeks its come to my attention that a lot of the time, over complicating a scene with lots of shot-reverse-shot style cinematography can take away from the emotion or mood you may wish to create. 

No comments:

Post a Comment